Thursday 10 November 2011

The art of taking a break

I recently finished my first draft of my novel: Elemental Saga I (subtitle pending).

This is incredibly exciting, and I'm eager to get into the editing so I can finish and publish it.  But instead of editing, I am waiting.  There are a number of reasons for this.

One, I have given the draft of my novel to a number of people to read.  They will be giving me valuable feedback, and I don't want to edit until I've gotten at least some of that feedback.  Editing a chapter only to re-edit it later after getting feedback would be a waste of time.

Two, I am letting my brain rest.  This is my biggest reason for waiting on the editing.  My mind needs rest.  I've been thinking about this book almost every day for almost a year now.  I feel it's important to take some time away so that when I begin editing it's with a fresh mind.

That said, my mind doesn't seem to want to wait, so I've begun brainstorming for book 2 of Elemental Saga.  It's going to be much bigger and better than book 1.  I can't wait to write it!

Preview for next week: all about my Sci-Fi book project!

2 comments:

  1. Good job Ricky :) Maja and I are looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Richard and keep it up!!!
    Lisete

    ReplyDelete